Friday 27 July 2012

Change your mind before you change your body


I was born and raised in Asia and found myself surrounded with so much amazing food! Now, considering I was diagnosed with diabetes at a young age I kind of realized that having all this food at my fingertips was my problem. Eating anything whenever took a toll on my diet and I was taking too much advantage of it. Little did I know, there was something called discipline and control over one’s actions? Of course at the time I didn’t care and just indulged in whatever tasted delicious. Mmmmm how I remember the sweet and savory goodness of all those fatty delights.

Well all that is in the past now, I am a new person, health conscious, exercise fanatic and love helping my friends with their health.
There are so many contradictory facts out there about health but have you ever tried to listen to your body? Speaking from a personal standpoint I find that listening to your body has been something not many have mentioned.

Before I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes my eating habits were absolutely horrible. Looking back, I cannot believe how and why I allowed myself to eat such garbage and be so lazy.  Mind you, it was very visible now looking back at pictures of myself. After my diagnosis, which I still believe is a blessing in disguise, my whole life changed.

Reading up on all the consequences of diabetes or just unhealthy living I was so scared that I told myself it was enough! It took me two years of yo-yoing with my weight from one diet to next without realizing that these short-term diet goals were not the way to go. They did not help me manage my weight in a realistic way but rather kept me on a leash.

I don’t know how many times I would cry over my weight, about how unlucky I was for having been diagnosed but HEY don’t we all usually try to play the victim but are really just in denial about the bigger and more important picture?

 For months and admittedly years I was feeling sorry for myself, thinking of how unfair it was for me. But I soon realized that all this soppiness was the key to my journey to health. It allowed me to explore the world of health and fitness in so many different ways. From reading magazines, books, to applying new ideas and concepts to exercising and creating my own guilty pleasures that aren’t “illegal” for me. I call them “Misha friendly”!

I finally came to terms with my condition as something that I couldn’t fight but rather work with. Therefore I decided to commit, (actually ‘commit’ is the wrong word)… to FOLLOW a long term plan full of healthy goodness diet, or should I rather say a healthy LIFESTYLE. Words like commit, or diet mean that you are on a leash and you must strictly follow the rules. There is no enjoyment that jumps out at me when I hear these words, I feel rather discouraged actually. So, lets say I am following a healthy lifestyle on the road to good health!


No comments:

Post a Comment